The award-winning company behind some of the most popular DACs around brings you another high-end headphone amplifier to heighten your sound. The Zen CAN is a brand new amp from iFi’s Zen series that promises 52x the signal power of your laptop or smartphone. Laptops and smartphones have a really low power output of <1.0v. On a good set of headphones, you’re always running out of juice. You never get to really hear what they can do. Use a laptop, phone, or DAC to feed your music to the ZEN CAN and connect your headphones. Pumping out 52x more power, now you’ll hear what you have been missing.
BALANCED TO THRILL
The ZEN CAN has trickle-down Class A discrete balanced circuitry from iFi audio’s US$1,699 flagship Pro iCAN. With 15.1v @300 Ohms on tap, it has serious power that will make even difficult-to-drive headphones thump to the beat.
- Class A discrete output buffer from the flagship Pro iCAN using Op-Amp (OV2637A)
- FET input avoids loading volume control – low distortion/noise
- Low impedance feedback circuit enhances circuit performance with no resistor noise
- Output amplifier gain of four steps in +6dB perfect for headphone matching
PUTS YOU AT THE VENUE. NOT OTHER WAY ROUND.
Audio recordings are made for speakers and when played back on headphones, the sound is always driving you nuts by being only in your head.
The 3D special sound circuit solves this:
- The stereo image that is truly out of your head, in front with height, width & depth
- Without coloration or loss of resolution
- All analog circuitry (i.e. without costly and complex digital signal manipulation)
Sure to satisfy all listeners.
ACE OF XBASS
Behind XBass is our active EQ circuit which meets a common gripe with headphones head-on, a lack of bass.
Open-back headphones, in particular, let all frequencies (especially those precious bass frequencies that the drivers generate so little of) leak freely out of the back instead of trapping and redirecting them back to your ears.
XBass equalization is a much more elegant solution to bass correction than seen elsewhere. It consists of active and passive components and its frequency response curve corrects their low-end response problems with precision.
PACKED WITH PREMIUM GOODNESS
Underpinning the Balanced and Active EQ circuitry are:
- Panasonic ECPU capacitors
- TDK C0G (Class 1) ceramic capacitors
- iFi/AMR ‘OV’ ‘Operationsverstärker’ series op-amps
- MELF resistors
- Texas Instruments low-noise ICs
- muRata capacitors and
- Tokyo Cosmos Electric Co. (TOCOS) multi-track potentiometer, with exceptional channel matching even at low volume
ZEN CAN = 1,600W
Laptop headphone = 30mW
- A fully discrete and balanced amplifier audio circuit. The full symmetric dual-mono headphone amplifier with gold-plated 4.4mm balanced connection. This exquisitely engineered design is more expensive but lowers the noise floor to a whisper-quiet 120dB.
- Class A Discrete is a circuit that has come straight out of the iFi’s flagship headphone amplifier, the Pro iCAN, which at £1,699 is 11 times the price of the ZEN CAN.
- This OV series operational amplifier is another example of a top-notch component used to get extremely low noise, low distortion (0.0001%), and wide bandwidth.
- TDK C0G (Class 1 ceramic) capacitors offer high stability and low losses for resonant circuit applications. They are pricey but are a perfect addition to our products.
- Sonically superior – richer, deeper.
The XBass® analog bass correction system corrects for the missing headphone/speaker bass response.
- An ‘Out of Head’ listening experience. Our 3D Holographic® dual-analog matrices place the artist with you in the room, not inside your head.
Check out the ZEN CAN at Audio 46